Tuesday, February 28, 2017

How to Sustain Sleek, Shiny Hair

I love wearing my hair straight, but sometimes I feel like my hair can get kinda dull looking when I don't do much to it. So I've experimented with different ways to keep my hair shiny and lively, and that's what I'm sharing with you guys today! Now I'm not a hair professional (yet,) these are just things I do that help me with my hair, and hopefully one of these things will do the same for you 😊 I'm going to try to go in the basic order of hair care as well, so it's a little easier to follow along with!



 COLD WATER RINSE
I use a strengthening shampoo and conditioner because I have weak, brittle hair, but I am not going to get into the details of that. Let me know if you guys want a hair care routine, though! But, what I do in the shower and really recommend is rinsing out shampoo and conditioner in cold water. I'm not saying to take a completely cold shower. But, when it's time to rinse out the products, doing so when it's warm has benefits that I've seen firsthand myself. For one, it's less heat on your hair, and our hair needs as much of a break from the heat we put on it on the daily as it can get. Rinsing with cold water helps lock in the moisture, and with moisturized hair comes shiny hair. I've done this for months now, since I dyed my hair black, and can really tell a difference. It sucks to get use to, especially at first, but when you start noticing differences then you'll easily get use to it. 


HAIR OIL
I can preach about hair oils forever. They've honestly turned my hair around the past few years, as I come from very broken, damaged hair. Oil is great for shine as well, and it protects your hair from heat. Right out of the shower, dry your hair off with a towel, take a dime-sized amount of oil, and run it through the lower half of your hair. It will hydrate the hair as well, but make sure you don't use too much!





CERAMIC FLAT IRON
High Quality ceramic flat irons are typically more expensive, but have a great benefit on your hair. What ceramic irons are, are metal plates with a ceramic coating. The coating locks in the moisture, distributes the heat evenly, and locks in moisture as well. The coating protects your hair from the metal as well, which the hot metal plates alone can get to be way too hot for your hair, can make your hair snag or rip while straightening, and can cause frizziness. It's a lot healthier on your hair versus plain metal plates. The flat iron I use is a 1 & 1/4 inch flat iron from the brand Solia, which can be purchased from folica.com. It is more expensive, but lasts years. I believe in my six- seven years flat ironing my hair I've only gone through 2, and my mom always gives me her old flat irons, so I don't get them brand new (thanks momma.) But shows even more that they are a lot more durable and last a while. I'll list cheaper options below though, if you guys are interested!



SHINE SPRAY
Shine. Spray. Get it! I thought this would be a gimmick honestly, just because I thought oils gave enough shine to my hair, but I was wrong!! When I dyed my hair black, my goal was to make it a shiny blue-black that was blinding. So I did research and when everything I read or watched preached shine sprays, I rolled my eyes because I was convinced I was paying money for the same thing my oils did. But this one from garnier is a god send. I do one spritz on each side of my hair, wait for it to dry, then brush it out, and it gives this beautiful shine without giving my hair any oil. Which, even though I have dry hair, I can get oil buildup sometimes and that's the worst. BUT.... be sure to spray around 10-12 inches away from your hair. You don't want the spray sprayed in just one spot, because that will give a greasy appearance. What I've also began to do has been to spray a few in the air and walk in it, while covering my face so it doesn't get oily. Anyway, it works. And the spray I use is so cheap! I'll provide more options below though :)



DIY MASKS
If you guys read my post a week or so ago, you know I'm a sucker for face masks. Well guess what? I am for hair masks too. I'm not kidding, the natural kitchen products do wonders for your beauty routine. This one is perfect for shine. Here's another one I have for you guys:

DIY EGG, OLIVE OIL, AND HONEY HAIR MASK


MATERIALS NEEDED:                                              

  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • Bowl
  • Measuring cups
  • Fork
  • Towel
  • Plastic gloves (optional)
  • Plastic cap for your head (optional)
STEPS:
  1.  Wrap the towel around your shoulders so you won't get anything on your clothes
  2. Crack the egg, and put in the bowl

  1. Measure out 1 tbsp. of olive oil, and put in the bowl.

  1. Measure out 1 tbsp. honey, and put into the bowl.

  1. Use the fork to mix the mask. This gives a really snot-like consistency when all mixed. I know, tasteful, right?

  1. Grab out and put on your plastic gloves if you have any, and apply this to JUST the ends and lower half of your hair at first. 
  2. Put on your plastic cap. 
  3. Let sit on your head for 50 minutes.
  4. After you've let this sink in your hair for 50 minutes, apply more to the top half of your head for 5-10 minutes, depending on how oily your hair can get. If you want to leave on the tops of your head for even less, be my guest. 
  5. Wash out when complete with your normal shampoo and conditioner. 
I tried this mask a few days ago and looooved it. It didn't leave my hair oily, but it really moisturized my hair and it had a lot more luminosity in it for days after as well! I also did this mask to my extensions as well, but only left on for 20 minutes.

And there you have it! Some of my tips on how to keep shiny, sleek hair. If you have any other tips you've done that you swear by, let me know! I'd love to hear it!

TIP:
**KNOWING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHINY HAIR AND OILY HAIR**

Related image
Shiny Hair




Hair Care Tips for Fine, Thin, Oily Hair
Oily hair

Shiny hair-yes. Oily hair-no. That's a given to most people, but what can get confusing to some is when they confuse healthy, shiny hair with oily hair.

Your hair is SHINY and HEALTHY when:

  • It provides a luminous kickback in the light.
  • It still is/feels clean while being luminous 
  • It has volume
  • When washed, it still has the same glow
Your hair is OILY when:
  • It's flat 
  • It's not clean feeling- can you smoothy run your fingers through the scalp and roots? If yes, it's clean. If not, it could probably use a good wash.
  • It provides shine, but not a glow. It's basically just when light is shone on your hear, your grease gets emphasized. 
It's important to note the differences in these, because if not you may be using incorrect or non beneficial products, thus won't help your hair. 


PRODUCTS USED/MENTIONED:

OIL:

 Ogx coconut oil & coconut milk (I used both):
https://www.ogxbeauty.com/hair/coconut-milk/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqSuWslsm86cym8S5Hhl9fAR-IDlip-KRGjJReEKa47gaAm9k8P8HAQ

Other options: 

Ogx argan/ moroccan oil
 http://www.vitacost.com/organix-extra-penetrating-moroccan-argan-oil-dry-course-hair?csrc=PPCADW-&mtp=sm0TUOzwZ-dc|pcrid|166837283959|&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqYstvvodGTROeUM3qE1lK7polAu5Sy6WveIftnMz3u8aAiKF8P8HAQ

One n only argan oil:
 http://www.sallybeauty.com/argan-oil-treatment/SBS-539400,default,pd.html

FLAT IRON I USE:
Solia 1& 1/4" flat iron:
 http://www.folica.com/tools/flat-irons/solia-flat-iron-1

OTHER OPTIONS:
Remington S5500 Anti-Static Digital Ceramic 1" Flat Iron / Straightener

Straight by Revlon Ceramic Straightener, 1"


* can get both on Walmart website or in store if available.
**I haven't tried either of these irons, so I have no opinions on them. I just listed two more affordable options for ceramic flat irons if you didn't want to spend around 70 bucks on one. READ the REVIEWS and knowledge yourself first before making the choice to purchase any of these.Walmart also has a ton of other options for you to choose from as well.

FOLICA WEBSITE:

http://www.folica.com/

* Folica also has a lot of options of high quality ceramic irons to choose from.




No comments:

Post a Comment